Don’t treat these questions on our monthly theme like “homework” or try to answer every single one. Instead, make time to meditate on the list and then pick one question that speaks to you. The goal is to figure out which question is “yours” at this moment. Which question captures the call of your inner voice? Which one contains your “work”? And what might that question be trying to get you to notice or acknowledge? It may even help to read the list to a trusted friend or loved one and ask them which question they think is yours.
- Whose way of being in the world renews your faith in humanity?
- How is “summer renewal” different from “fall renewal” for you?
- Are you sure it’s your body that’s tired, or could it be your soul?
- During fall, the trees turn their energy away from reaching out to the sun. Instead, they let go of their leaves and seek renewal in the rich soil where their roots live. How about you? Is it time to cease seeking nourishment from that which lies beyond your reach and instead enter a time of disconnecting and returning to the richer soil of that which lies within?
- When was the last time you allowed yourself a day in which nothing was produced, no items were checked off your list, no problems were confronted, no solutions were searched for?
- We’re taught that “time away” is about restoring ourselves in order to return to our work. But what if we saw it as making space to decide if it’s time to reconfigure ourselves and re-imagine what our true “work” is?
- How would your life change if you saw rest as “a form of resistance” against a culture that gladly “uses us,” deforms us and lures us into believing that exhaustion is a mark of success? [https://elemental.medium.com/its-a-right-not-a-privilege-the-napping-resistance-movement-54fc147ba32b]
- You’ve been telling yourself you need rest, but what if what you really need is play?
- Which of your commitments to the greater good needs renewal this year?
- Have you ever been “washed clean”? (Is there something in you that longs for it now?)
- What would it look like to take a break from being a “giver” and allow yourself to receive?
- How are you staying close to those people and things that “reteach you your loveliness”? [https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/42683/saint-francis-and-the-sow]
- We regularly renew our homes and porches with a new coat of paint. This constant and tender care is what makes them beloved to us. What precious personal relationship of yours has paint that has grown dry and is starting to peel? What relationship could use a bit of tender renewal?
- Is it time to renew a promise you made to yourself?
What’s your question? Your question may not be listed above. As always, if the above questions don’t include what life is asking from you, spend the month listening to your days to hear it. Or maybe the question or call you need to hear is waiting in one of the quotes listed below. Consider looking there!
(Curated and adapted for KUF from the 2020 Soul Matters materials for the theme ‘Renewal’ by Rev. Beckett Coppola.)